History

History of Arthrogryposis

  • 1642- An oil painting that resides in the Musée du Louvre in Paris called “The Clubfoot (also known as The Club-Footed Boy by Jusepe de Ribera. see figure 1.
  • 1841- An anatomist named Adolph Wilhelm Otto described a case of congenital myodystrophy. see figure 2
  • 1822- Guerin added the concept of congential extremities.
  • 1897- Schantz subsequently termed “multiple congenial contractures.
  • 1905- E. Rosenkraz collected 56 cases that were similar in nature and labeled them arthrogryposis.
  • 1913- Rocher termed the process as “multiple congenital articular rigidities”.
  • 1923- WB Stern coined the phrase “arthrogryposis multiplex congenital (AMC)”
  • 1925- Lewn reviewed the orthopedic characteristics of the disease and used the term arthrogryposis multiplex congenital (AMC) in reporting his clinical cases.
  • 1932- 1934- Sheldon described clinical features of congential multiple contractures in child and used for the first time the name “amyoplasia congenita”.
  • 1934- Middleton studied muscle tissues from patients and defined the disease as of muscular origin.
  • 1947 Brant , Adams et al in 1953, Wolf and coworkers in 1955 attempted to define a neurological of myogenic cause for the entity.
  • Later other terms were amyoplasia congenita and congenital arthromyodysplasia.

 

 

 

  •  “Work The Clubfoot.” The Clubfoot | Louvre Museum | Paris. N.p., n.d. Web. 23 May 2017. 
  • Kowalczyk, Bartłomiej, and Jarosław Feluś. “Arthrogryposis: An Update on Clinical Aspects, Etiology, and Treatment Strategies.” Archives of Medical Science 1 (2016): 10-24. Web.                         
  • Webster’s Timeline History, 1955 – 2007 . N.p.: ICON Group International, Inc. (March 10, 2010), n.d. Print

 

 

Do you have new information to share?  Email Us

 

Translate »